If you’ve been following me for a while (especially on my instastories) you’ll know that I just recently went through the process of applying to become a teacher with VIP Kid. Let me just say, it truly is a blessing that this job came into my life. I have all credit to thank to my own mama, as she is always looking out for me even as an adult.
These past couple months I have been in a dilemma… I knew I had to start finding some type of way to supplement our income. I was quite honestly stressing about how I could make money while still being home with Little Johnny.
I know if I had to I could always go back to teaching (which may happen soon), but I wanted to give other options a try first. In the near future we want to extend our family and I would love to find a job that allows me to stay home with them as well.
So, about a month ago my mom was visiting us. We were sitting outside while discussing LIFE. She knew that I was overwhelmed by searching for “at home” jobs. I knew I couldn’t be picky, but I worked so hard for my education that I wanted to find a balance between staying at home with Little Johnny and also having a rewarding & fulfilling job. (Which is a type of job we all want, right?!)
Even at 28 years old, I needed my mom at that time. I needed her guidance and a “second eye” to help me search & try to find solutions. While sitting outside we each had our computer and were on the “job hunt”. My mom came across the VIP Kid position, so I applied right then and there to start my journey with teaching English to children in Beijing. Amazing the things technology can bring us too, right?!
The result…I LOVE this job! The honest truth…the application was easy to apply for, but the process was a different story, which I’ll share further down. The best advice I can give you is don’t let fear or the amount of work it takes get in the way of you applying.
Would I recommend this job to others? YES! Even though it took a while to finally get my first booking from the time I applied and was hired (about 2-3 weeks), it was well worth it! Time & Persistence is the key…
I have had alot of questions from followers and friends about the process, so what better way than to answer them here!
Process for Getting Hired
Before even applying these are the must haves:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- experience working with children (classroom, day care, in home child care, before & afterschool programs, tutoring…)
- First follow this link by using my referal code to apply (it’s a very simple application).
- Once you’ve applied you’ll recieve an email stating that you’ve been accepted to sign up for a demo class (first interview) where you’ll teach a 10 minute lesson to an adult in Beijing (they’ll act as a 5 year old student who doesn’t know any English). PRACTICE is KEY!
- You’ll recieve an email shortly after stating if you have been accepted to move onto MOCK 1, which is another interview. This time you’ll teach for 25 minutes (a full lesson) to a proctor (an actual VIP Kid teacher who has advanced to become a proctor).
- If you do VERY WELL on your MOCK 1, then you don’t have to move onto MOCK 2. But don’t fret if you have to complete MOCK 2…many people have had to (including me). If you move onto MOCK 2 you’ll get an email to setup your last and final interview.
- Once you pass all interviews, then you’re in! (not bad, right?!) 😉 Then you upload a few documents, pictures, and a short intro video of yourself. Once that has been reviewed and submtted you can start scheduling your bookings!
I know it seems like alot of work, but in the end it’s well worth it!
- you work from home
- able to use your previous teaching skills
- you can set your own schedule
- very rewarding job
- work with children one-on-one
- curriculum is provided
- short classes (25 minutes each)
- the “working” hours can be early in the morning or late at night (or if you’re feeling up to it, an all nighter)
- sometimes bookings are inconsistent (you don’t always get booked for the slots you open up)
- there may be student cancelations, or tech problems
- payments may differ based on how many bookings you had for the month
- you’re hired as an independent contractor, so no taxes are taken out…which means make sure to save a percentage of your earnings so that way when tax season comes you’re not scrambling to come up with the money. (I believe they say between 2-5% of each paycheck, but don’t quote me on that.)
- This varies, but typically it’s within the range of what I am currently getting paid…
- $7.50 per class (25 minutes each) So I look at it as $15 an hour (that just sounds better to me, haha!)
- There are so many incentives they offer as well! For example when someone else uses your referral code and gets hired you get a dollar amount (usually an extra $50 each referral, but depends on their monthly incentive program).
- Paycheck are completed as a “wire transfer” onthe 15th of each month
Week 1 & 2…
So, how is it acutally going for me? I love it! So far my highest week of bookings has been on my second week with working for VIP Kid- 18 bookings (or classes)! This is a huge increase from week 1, so I’m very excited about it! I have chosen to work early mornings 4am-5:30am or late nights 9pm-12am. My highest bookings take place on the weekends.
Big question I have had many mamas ask me who are interested in this job. Where is Little Johnny (my 16 month old son) while you teach??
Well, I plan my schedule around when Little Johnny is sleeping or when Big John is home. We live in a small apartment, so I was worried about Little Johnny waking up, but so far it’s worked out. I have white noise on for him, which helps to drown out the noise of me teaching. As for the students hearing other things in my house, I just found out that you can get “noise canceling” headpohones for that! Problem solved! 🙂
I’m ecstatic that I can still use my teaching skills while being at home with Little Johnny. I have so much fun with this job too! My husband today even stated when he heard me teaching this morning…”That sounded like a fun lesson!” 🙂
Supportive Facebook Groups
Ahhh, the lovely facebook for a great resource, who would have known?! Below I linked a few of my favorite ones that have (and still do) help me when I have questions.
My goal for the income that I earn is to pay our rent, so I am hoping to book at least 32 classes a week , which I know I can get there soon! This is a great way to earn extra income to pay off debt, put towards a trip, pay bills, or simply just for fun money.
So, what are you waiting for? Give it a try, seriously what do you have to lose?
If you have any questions feel free to email me using my contact info.
Wishing you well,