I’m all about using what you have and transforming it into something totally different! I love thinking about how I can use an item in a different way within my house. Plus, I hate going out and buying more stuff when I can use what I have to create something just like it.
This Friday I actually had a hard time thinking about what I could create, then I saw it. Three coffee cans sitting under my sink just waiting for me to save them from going into the recycling bin. 🙂 Currently my situation with produce is I throw everything into one basket and it sits on my counter. Here’s the thing about that…sometimes I forget what type of produce I have and it spoils. Also, I hate digging for things at the bottom. This week’s DIY project will hep with organizing your produce in a cost efficient way. I know open wired baskets are suppose to be easy for produce organization, but it just doesn’t work for me. Plus I’m all about the shabby chic look! Why not have your produce display look stylish. I’m using three coffee cans and wait until you see the end result! Also, guess what…this is another easy peasy DIY project for busy mamas! 🙂
Produce Holders for you Kitchen
- 3 coffee cans
- 3 round pieces of wood (Hobby Lobby find)
- chalk paint
- favorite spray paint color
- hot glue gun
- sand paper
1.take off any paper on the coffee cans and wash them
2. make sure they are fully dried and take the sand paper to sand off any paper that wouldn’t come off
3. spray paint your coffee cans (I used 3 coats) make sure to let them dry for at least 5 minutes in between each coat
4. while the cans are drying, take your wood pieces and sand one side so it’s a smooth surface (mine wasn’t as smooth so it was harder to write with the chalk, so this is a VERY important step)
5. use the blackboard chalk paint and apply 3 coats on one side
6. once everything is dried (about 1 hour) hot glue your wood pieces to the front of your cans
7. use chalk to write the produce items for each can
There you have it! An organized produce station in your kitchen!
If you want more counter space here’s an extra step that I may do in the future.
1.Drill a hole in the back of the can
2. take command hooks and use them to hang your cans along your back splash
**Make sure to get command hooks that hold at least 5 lbs or more.**
If the produce display isn’t your thing, you can also use this idea for…
- organizing cooking utensils
- organzing snacks
- plant containers
- organzing office supplies or kids crafts
What would you use this idea for?
Wishing You Well,
Happy Mama, Happy Wife, Happy Life